Childhood dreams and real life

I have been thinking a lot lately. Thinking of what life used to be and how it is now. Of the dreams I have had when I was younger and how they affect my life now.

Growing up in Europe I was dreaming of the USA. The Land of Opportunity. You watch Bonanza, the little house in the prairie, North and South, and other movies.




You heard about people that left the country and made a fortune. And on top of that there was my grandfather, who was swedish and his brother, that actually made a fortune over here decades ago.





So little naive me, thought it would be great to come over here. Dreaming about the big house I would have and that I would drive big cars and that I would never worry about anything.

Boy, childhood dreams, wonderful just not realistic!





So here we are thirty years later, I live in the country I was dreaming about. As a family we struggle daily to survive. Recession is kicking our butt. Working two to three jobs to pay the bills.


Am I still thankful? Yes. I have learned so much over the years. First of all I am thankful for having my loving family. If I was rich but didn't have anyone to share it with...it would be an empty and meaningless life.




Second I have learned to be thankful for the little things in life. I can see a flower blooming and be happy. I can sit next to the river, watch the boats and feel free.




Third I have faith, faith that will carry my through. I know one day it will be all ok and until then I will smile, thank God for everything he has given me, take on the challenges in life, share the burden with the ones that love me and not give up!!




Until next time world out there

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life after loss